Become an Explainer Today!Apply online anytime! Applications are due September 24, 2011.
Are you are a middle or high school student between the ages of 14 and 17 who's looking for an exciting and rewarding activity? Do you want to learn about plants, nature, and science? Do you enjoy the outdoors? Would you enjoy mentoring and working with young children? If you answered yes to any of these questions, check out The New York Botanical Garden's Explainer Program.
The Garden's Intern Explainer Program offers a great opportunity to make new friends, learn about plants, develop new skills, and receive personal mentoring and hands-on training. In return, you volunteer your time in the Everett Children's Adventure Garden to help facilitate programs and offer assistance to visitors of this world-class institution. This volunteer program will not only provide you with a fun new experience today, but will continue to open many doors for you in the future, as you learn and apply all that the Garden can teach you.
Intern Explainer Testimonials:
"When I joined the program I wanted to learn about the Garden, and since then I have gained much more than I expected. The Explainer Program has taught me about the life and nature around me, about how to help and teach children, and has made me a more outgoing and patient person."
Rocky Douangchanh, Age 14, Junior Explainer
What do Explainers do?
- Learn about plants, nature, and people
- Lead science activities and experiments
- Facilitate exhibit use
- Answer visitor questions
- Make new friends
- Earn entry privileges to the Garden and discounts at the Shop and cafes
- Receive a certificate and a letter of recommendation for college and job applications
- Obtain satisfaction from positively affecting the lives of thousands of visitors each year
- Be a middle or high school student age 14–17
- Volunteer 125 hours over a six-month period (at least one 4 1/2 hour shift once a week)
- Attend four training sessions (hours are counted toward the required 125)
- After school, weekends, and/or summer vacation
- Please contact Sarah Paulson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718.817.8079 for an application and more information.