The goal of the project is to provide an up-to-date botanical inventory to aid on-going restoration, conservation, education and recreation programs and to document the flora for scientific, ecological and conservation studies.
Activities will include the collection of herbarium specimens, data analysis and public outreach.
Expected outcomes include the following:
- • A complete inventory of the park, peer-reviewed and published ten years after the previous study (DeCandido et al., 2007).
- • Rapid response to threats from emerging invasive plant species.
- • Original content for Central Park plant apps.
- • Training opportunities for interns, park staff, technicians and citizen-scientists.
- • Teaching opportunities for educators at all levels.
- • A website with photographs, maps, voucher specimens and collection details.
- • A permanently archived set of voucher specimens documenting the flora.
- • A complete DNA library of all documented species.
The Central Park Conservancy is gratefully acknowledged for their generous financial and technical support.