Greening the Garden
The New York Botanical Garden is dedicated to preserving and protecting the environment. As central to its mission, the Garden acts as a responsible steward of its 250-acre landscape, teaches the public about the value and workings of the natural world, explores the benefits that plants provide to humans around the globe, helps to conserve land resources, uses science to study and better understand the plant kingdom, plant diversity, and the need to protect it, and so much more.
Through its Sustainability and Climate Change Program, the Garden is identifying and reducing its carbon emissions, revising its grounds maintenance and horticultural practices, managing and removing invasive species in the Forest, engaging volunteers in the collection of climate change data, and further educating the public about the major environmental issues of the day and how to help address these problems.
What You Can Do
You can help the Garden be more sustainable by helping us to fight invasive species, collect data as a citizen scientist so that we better understand global warming, lead walking tours on environmental topics, or by assisting in other ways.
You can also do your part at home and at work with these simple actions.
Recycle and reduce paper waste
- Separate paper from waste by using recycling bins.
- Store and share computer files electronically rather than through printouts.
- Use recycled paper.
- Print and copy on both sides of the paper.
- Reuse blank sides of paper for drafts; reuse folders and interoffice envelopes.
- Use a canvas bag for shopping.
Reduce plastic bottle waste
- Dispose of glass and plastic bottles and cans in recycling bins.
- Use a drinking glass or reusable bottle for refills of water from fountains.
- Use reusable plates, mugs, utensils, and containers.
Reduce electrical usage
- Turn off all unnecessary lights in rooms, offices, and hallways.
- Use natural light when possible or low-wattage, compact fluorescent task lights.
- Turn off lights, computers, printers, power strips, and other electrical devices when leaving the office.
- Keep windows closed when air conditioning is operating.
Reduce Carbon, Soot, and Other Emissions
- Carpool or take public transportation, if possible.
- Do not keep your vehicle idling.
- Buy supplies in bulk to reduce shipping
For additional ways to be more environmentally responsible – and to save money as well – visit the Web site of Con Edison, sponsor of Greening the Garden. To learn what and how to recycle in New York City, visit the NYC Department of Sanitation’s Web site.