Celebrate Food With Chef Carla Hall during her
Culinary Kids Week!
As part of the Garden's Edible Academy initiative, join NYBG and Carla Hall for a family-friendly, weeklong festival celebrating the relationships among plants, farms, and your favorite foods. ABC's The Chew co-host, NYBG Edible Academy Committee Member, and celebrity chef Carla Hall will make a very special appearance on Monday, February 16, to host a live cooking demonstration.
Explore the activity stations and the tropical treats in the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory with a kitchen notebook, and join Ruth Rea Howell Family Garden staff in the Conservatory Tent for ongoing Activity Stations and Culinary Workshops that take place at 11 a.m., 12, and 2 p.m. (first-come, first-served registration). Daily Cooking Demonstrations feature special guests preparing their appetizing kid-friendly recipes at 1 p.m. Programming is geared for children ages 4–12.
Throughout the week, activity stations will offer hands-on opportunities to learn about food. Edible Academy staff and a variety of partner organizations will share delicious and engaging lessons on all things culinary.
- Edible Academy
- Big Apple Edibles
- Hudson Valley Seed Library
- HealthBarn USA
- Growing Chefs
Kids Kitchen Corner
Try on a chef's jacket and start cooking in our kitchen play space.
Tropical Treasure Hunt
Enid A. Haupt Conservatory
Search the tropical lowland and upland rainforests for edible fruits, spicy stems, and other plant parts growing throughout.
Daily; 11 a.m., 12, & 2 p.m. (first-come, first-served registration)
Throughout the week, these classes will provide participants the opportunity to follow a recipe, learn a culinary skill, use kitchen tools, and create a healthy dish to take home.
- Monday, February 16 – Whole Foods Market
- Tuesday, February 17 – Edible Academy
- Wednesday, February 18 – HealthBarn USA
- Thursday, February 19 – Growing Chefs
- Friday, February 20 – Kendall Holmes
- Saturday, February 21 – Butter Beans
- Sunday, February 22 – Michelle Warner
Daily; 1 p.m. (12:30 p.m. on Monday)
Throughout the week, New York City chefs and food personalities take the stage daily to offer a demonstration of their favorite recipes.
- Monday, February 16 – Carla Hall, The Chew at 12:30 p.m. • Broccoli Pesto
- Tuesday, February 17 – Kate Gardner, kategardnernutrition.com • Maple Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- Wednesday, February 18 – Stacey Antine, HealthBarn USA • Sweet Peas and Pasta
- Thursday, February 19 – David Mawhinney, Haven's Kitchen • Lumpia! Vegetarian Winter Rolls
- Friday, February 20 – George Edwards, Garden-to-Cafe • Freekeh with Winter Vegetable Medley, Kale, and Apples
- Saturday, February 21 – Matt Abdoo, Del Posto • Homemade Mozzarella
- Sunday, February 22 – Alicia Walter, Vetri Ristorante • Torta d'Erbe
Sing-Along to Celebrate Farms and Foods!
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday; 12 & 2 p.m.
Bring your dancing shoes to celebrate timeless farm and kitchen folksongs. Workshop participants will enjoy learning call-and-response songs representing a useful agrarian tradition—singing! You'll learn hand-clappin', toe-tappin', feel-good tunes and have a hollerin' good time!
- Worksongs – Bennett Konensi & Edith Gawler